Unlike American muffins, English ones are made with yeast. They are lovely split in half and toasted with margarine spread over or can be used as a sandwich.
- Into a medium sized saucepan pour in the water and soya milk. Heat gradually until just warm and then remove from heat.
- Add the sugar and yeast, stir well and leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a large bowl and mix together.
- Gradually add the liquid from the saucepan and stir until a dough has formed.
- Onto a lightly floured surface knead for 5 minutes. Place back into the bowl and cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for one hour.
- Knead on a floured surface for one minute and roll out the dough large enough to cut eight 3 inch circles. Cut the 8 circles. We have used a crinkled edged cutter.
- In a large heavy frying pan or griddle place the margarine in and melt. Place the muffins in and cook on each side for 7 minutes.